Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Letting Kids Dress Themselves...Sorta

For moms of little fashion divas and dudes, you probably hear all the time that your child wants to dress herself or himself.  Finding the balance between crazy kid outfits and and not limiting their creativity and self-expression must be difficult.


When I was little, I not only had an extensive wardrobe, but I also had a lot of opinions about what my outfit should look like.  My mom had a smart method for giving me a choice in what I wore each day...kind of.  Each morning, my mom would lay out 3-4 full outfits for me to choose from.  The only rule was that there could be no mixing and matching.  This way, I was thrilled that I was dressing myself, and my mom was equally as thrilled that I didn't look like I escaped from the circus.

Once place that my mom did allow unbridled enthusiasm and expression was in my accessories.  From age 2 onward, I had a huge accessories wardrobe, including bracelets, necklaces, purses, headbands, hats, bows, shoes, socks, barrettes, and scarves.  And, of course, whatever my sidekick Teddy wanted to wear that day.

Here are some adorable kids' accessories that I've seen around the internet lately (click to shop):














1 comment:

  1. We had to draw the line at what we referred to as Henry's "Richard Simmons Outfit".

    ReplyDelete